Dr. Aneet Kessouw
Special interest in Major Orthopaedic and Hip surgery, Geriatric anaesthesia, Thoracic and Spinal anaesthesia. Ultrasound guided regional anaesthesia and acute pain management.
Spinal surgery is a highly specialised area of orthopaedic surgery and as such requires specific anaesthetic techniques to best optimise the conditions and success of surgery and for safe monitoring during your operation. These are vital to ensure safe outcomes, reduce complications and ensure success.
Anaesthesia for spinal surgery takes into account close monitoring of your blood pressure, careful positioning for surgery, specific techniques to minimise blood loss and special techniques to reduce pain and discomfort after surgery. These will be tailored to your individual needs. By recognising potential complications, and with our experience, we try and prepare you best for your journey to successful surgery.
We believe in a team based approach and many of the protocols have been established with the aid of your anaesthetist. We follow internationally recognised guidelines, and the latest modalities in anaesthesia to bring you an international standard of care. We try to create the most ideal and caring environment to ensure the best conditions for successful surgery.
It is our aim and privilege to guide you safely through your anaesthetic and to be there throughout this demanding period of your surgery in the operating room.
Experience & Research
- MB ChB – University of Cape Town 1999
- Diploma of Anaesthesia (SA), College of Medicine of South Africa 2001
- FCA – Fellow of College of Anaesthetists (South Africa) (University of Cape Town) 2006
- Advanced Paediatric Life Support – United Kingdom 2009
- 2002 Senior House Officer – Department of Anaesthesiology, United Kingdom
- 2005-2006 SASA Western Cape registrar representative
- 2006 – SASA / Astra Zeneca Scholarship recipient
- 2007 – University of Cape Town Anaesthetic department registrar representative
- 2007 – South African Society of Anaesthetists (SASA) – Vice secretary W.Cape branch
- 2007- 2008 – Specialist Anaesthetist, University of Cape Town Anaesthetic Department, Groote Schuur Hospital, Cape Town, South Africa – Including 6 months ICU rotation and 3 months cardiac rotation
- 2008 – 2009 – Consultant Anaesthetist , Mid Yorkshire Hospital Trust, West Yorkshire, Wakefield , UK
- 2009 – 2010 – Consultant Anaesthetist, St. James University Hospital, Leeds Trust, Leeds, UK
- 2010 –Present – Consultant Anaesthetist Private Practice Cape Town – Anaesthesia Cape Town. WWW.A-CT.CO.ZA
- 2015 – Honorary Lecturer University of Cape Town
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- South African Society of Anaesthesiologists
- Regional Anaesthesia and Pain Society South Africa
- European Society of Regional Anaesthesia 2014, Seville, Spain
- Basic Focus Assessed Transthoracic Echo workshop 2014. UCT, Cape Town
- Advanced Focus Assessed Transthoracic Echo workshop 2014, UCT, Cape Town
- Western Cape ultrasound workshop, South African Society Anaesthesia, 2013
- European Society of Regional Anaesthesia 2012, Bordeaux, France
- Montpellier University hospital 2012, Montpellier, France – visiting doctor with interest in regional ultrasound
- European Society of Anaesthesia Congress 2008, Copenhagen, Denmark – TOE introduction course
- SASA congress 2005, Cape Town – Difficult airway workshop
- 2016 – 1st advanced ultrasound workshop – spines and upper limb, Western Cape
- 2016 – 1st Ultrasound regional workshop – Namibia , Windhoek
- AO Spine Masters Symposium, 2015, Cape Town – Guest Speaker
- World Congress of Regional Anaesthesia and Pain 2015, Cape Town, South Africa –Workshop Presenter and Regional ultrasound Demonstrator.
- University of Cape Town u/s course, 2013, Cape Town – Lower limb u/s workshop Demonstrator
- University of Cape Town u/s course 2014, Cape Town – Regional ultrasound Demonstrator
- South African Society Anaesthesia Congress 2013, Port Elizabeth – Regional Ultrasound Demonstrator,
- South African Society Anaesthesiologists Congress 2012, Cape Town – Regional Ultrasound demonstrator,
- Western Cape Regional Ultrasound Workshop 2012, Cape Town Convention Centre. – Regional Ultrasound Convenor.
- University of Stellenbosch regional anaesthesia workshop, Cape Town, 2011 – Presenter – Complications of regional anaesthesia